Featured Content December 3, 2019 – Proclaimed by the United Nations in 1992
On October 14, 1992, the United Nations proclaimed December 3 as the International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD) and invited "all Member States and organizations concerned to intensify their efforts aimed at sustained effective action with a view to improving the situation of persons with disabilities." See previous U.S. Presidential Proclamations in support of IDPD.
In the United States, the Federal Government has implemented landmark legislation like the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) "to ensure that the Federal Government plays a central role in enforcing...standards...on behalf of individuals with disabilities." (42 U.S.C. 12101 et seq.)
Related Legislation and Regulations
Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Public Law 101-336, 104 Stat. 327
- ADA Amendments Act of 2008, Public Law 110-325, 122 Stat 3553
- Titles I, II, III, and V of the original ADA are codified in 42 U.S.C. 12101 et seq.
- Title IV of the original ADA is codified throughout Chapter 5 of 47 U.S.C.
- Statute Compilation of the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended (Note: This compilation of the public law, as amended, is an unofficial document and should not be cited as legal evidence of the law.)
- Implementing Regulations:
- 29 CFR Parts 1630, 1602 (Implementation of Title I by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission)
- 28 CFR Part 35 (Implementation of Title II by the Department of Justice)
- 49 CFR Parts 27, 37, 38 (Implementation of Titles II and III by the Department of Transportation)
- 28 CFR Part 36 (Implementation of Title III by the Department of Justice)
- 47 CFR 64.601 et seq. (Implementation of Title IV by the FCC)
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), formerly the Education for all Handicapped Children Act of 1975, Public Law 94-142, 89 Stat. 773
Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Public Law 93-112, 87 Stat. 355
Section 501, as amended:
Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended:
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended:
- Codified in 29 U.S.C. 794
- Over 20 Implementing Regulations for federally assisted programs, including 34 CFR Part 104, 45 CFR Part 84, and 28 CFR 42.501 et seq.
- Over 95 Implementing Regulations for federally conducted programs, including 28 CFR Part 39 (Department of Justice)
Section 508, as amended:
- Codified in 29 U.S.C. 794d
Source for legislative and regulatory research: ADA.gov