When used in this chapter—
(1) The term "person" includes individuals, partnerships, corporations, and associations;
(2) The term "Secretary" means the Secretary of Agriculture;
(3) The term "meat food products" means all products and byproducts of the slaughtering and meat-packing industry—if edible;
(4) The term "livestock" means cattle, sheep, swine, horses, mules, or goats—whether live or dead;
(5) The term "livestock products" means all products and byproducts (other than meats and meat food products) of the slaughtering and meat-packing industry derived in whole or in part from livestock;
(6) The term "poultry" means chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, and other domestic fowl;
(7) The term "poultry product" means any product or byproduct of the business of slaughtering poultry and processing poultry after slaughter;
(8) The term "poultry grower" means any person engaged in the business of raising and caring for live poultry for slaughter by another, whether the poultry is owned by such person or by another, but not an employee of the owner of such poultry;
(9) The term "poultry growing arrangement" means any growout contract, marketing agreement, or other arrangement under which a poultry grower raises and cares for live poultry for delivery, in accord with another's instructions, for slaughter;
(10) The term "live poultry dealer" means any person engaged in the business of obtaining live poultry by purchase or under a poultry growing arrangement for the purpose of either slaughtering it or selling it for slaughter by another, if poultry is obtained by such person in commerce, or if poultry obtained by such person is sold or shipped in commerce, or if poultry products from poultry obtained by such person are sold or shipped in commerce; and
(11) The term "commerce" means commerce between any State, Territory, or possession, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside thereof; or between points within the same State, Territory, or possession, or the District of Columbia, but through any place outside thereof; or within any Territory or possession, or the District of Columbia.
(A) the swine is obtained by the person in commerce; or
(B) the swine (including products from the swine) obtained by the person is sold or shipped in commerce.
(Aug. 15, 1921, ch. 64, title I, §2(a), 42 Stat. 159; Pub. L. 94–410, §3(c), Sept. 13, 1976, 90 Stat. 1249; Pub. L. 100–173, §2, Nov. 23, 1987, 101 Stat. 917; Pub. L. 107–171, title X, §10502(a), May 13, 2002, 116 Stat. 509.)
Section is composed of subsec. (a) of section 2 of act Aug. 15, 1921. Subsec. (b) of section 2 is classified to section 183 of this title.
2002—Pars. (12) to (14). Pub. L. 107–171 added pars. (12) to (14).
1987—Pars. (6) to (11). Pub. L. 100–173 added pars. (6) to (10) and redesignated former par. (6) as (11).
1976—Pars. (4), (5). Pub. L. 94–410 substituted "livestock" for "live stock" in par. (4) and for "live-stock" in par. (5).
Pub. L. 100–173, §12, Nov. 23, 1987, 101 Stat. 923, provided that: "This Act and the amendments made by this Act [enacting sections 197 and 228b–1 to 228b–4 of this title, amending this section and sections 192, 209, 221, 223, 227, and 228a of this title, repealing sections 218 to 218d of this title, and enacting provisions set out as notes under sections 181 and 227 of this title] shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act [Nov. 23, 1987]."
Pub. L. 94–410, §10, Sept. 13, 1976, 90 Stat. 1252, provided that: "Pending proceedings shall not be abated by reason of any provision of this Act [enacting sections 196 and 228a to 228c of this title and amending this section and sections 183, 191 to 193, 201, 204, 207, 209, 210, 212, 213, 228, and 229 of this title], but shall be disposed of pursuant to the provisions of the Packers and Stockyards Act, 1921, as amended [this chapter], and the Act of July 12, 1943 [section 204 of this title], in effect immediately prior to the effective date of this Act [Sept. 13, 1976]."