The Secretary shall establish a competitive grant program to promote the development of teaching programs in agriculture, veterinary medicine, and disciplines closely allied to the food and agriculture system to increase the number of trained individuals with an expertise in agricultural biosecurity.
The Secretary may award a grant under this section only to an entity that is—
(1) an accredited school of veterinary medicine; or
(2) a department of an institution of higher education with a primary focus on—
(A) comparative medicine;
(B) veterinary science; or
(C) agricultural biosecurity.
The Secretary shall give preference in awarding grants based on the ability of an applicant—
(1) to increase the number of veterinarians or individuals with advanced degrees in food and agriculture disciplines who are trained in agricultural biosecurity practice areas;
(2) to increase research capacity in areas of agricultural biosecurity; or
(3) to fill critical agricultural biosecurity shortage situations outside of the Federal Government.
Amounts received under this section shall be used by a grantee to pay—
(A) costs associated with the acquisition of equipment and other capital costs relating to the expansion of food, agriculture, and veterinary medicine teaching programs in agricultural biosecurity;
(B) capital costs associated with the expansion of academic programs that offer postgraduate training for veterinarians or concurrent training for veterinary students in specific areas of specialization; or
(C) other capacity and infrastructure program costs that the Secretary considers appropriate.
Funds received under this section may not be used for the construction, renovation, or rehabilitation of a building or facility.
There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section—
(1) such sums as are necessary for each of fiscal years 2008 through 2013, to remain available until expended; and
(2) $5,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2014 through 2023, to remain available until expended.
(Pub. L. 110–234, title XIV, §14122, May 22, 2008, 122 Stat. 1456; Pub. L. 110–246, §4(a), title XIV, §14122, June 18, 2008, 122 Stat. 1664, 2218; Pub. L. 113–79, title VII, §7504, Feb. 7, 2014, 128 Stat. 901; Pub. L. 115–334, title VII, §7404, Dec. 20, 2018, 132 Stat. 4817.)
Pub. L. 110–234 and Pub. L. 110–246 enacted identical sections. Pub. L. 110–234 was repealed by section 4(a) of Pub. L. 110–246.
2018—Subsec. (e)(2). Pub. L. 115–334 substituted "2023" for "2018".
2014—Subsec. (e). Pub. L. 113–79 struck out "sums as are necessary" after "appropriated", substituted "section—" for "section for each of fiscal years 2008 through 2012, to remain available until expended.", and added pars. (1) and (2).
Enactment of this section and repeal of Pub. L. 110–234 by Pub. L. 110–246 effective May 22, 2008, the date of enactment of Pub. L. 110–234, see section 4 of Pub. L. 110–246, set out as a note under section 8701 of this title.
"Secretary" as meaning the Secretary of Agriculture, see section 8701 of this title.