United States Code, 2019 Edition
Title 5 - GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION AND EMPLOYEES
PART I - THE AGENCIES GENERALLY
CHAPTER 3 - POWERS
SUBCHAPTER II - FEDERAL EVIDENCE-BUILDING ACTIVITIES
Sec. 311 - Definitions
From the U.S. Government Publishing Office, www.gpo.gov
In this subchapter:
(1) Agency.—The term "agency" means an agency referred to under section 901(b) of title 31.
(2) Director.—The term "Director" means the Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
(3) Evaluation.—The term "evaluation" means an assessment using systematic data collection and analysis of one or more programs, policies, and organizations intended to assess their effectiveness and efficiency.
(4) Evidence.—The term "evidence" has the meaning given that term in section 3561 of title 44.
(5) State.—The term "State" means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, each territory or possession of the United States, and each federally recognized governing body of any Indian Tribe, band, nation, pueblo, or other organized group or community which is recognized as eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of their status as Indians.
(6) Statistical activities; statistical agency or unit; statistical purpose.—The terms "statistical activities", "statistical agency or unit", and "statistical purpose" have the meanings given those terms in section 3561 of title 44.
(Added Pub. L. 115–435, title I, §101(a)(2), Jan. 14, 2019, 132 Stat. 5530.)
Section effective 180 days after Jan. 14, 2019, see section 403 of Pub. L. 115–435, set out as an Effective Date of 2019 Amendment note under section 306 of this title.
Evaluation and Personnel Standards
Pub. L. 115–435, title I, §101(e), Jan. 14, 2019, 132 Stat. 5534, provided that:
"(1) Requirement.—Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act [Jan. 14, 2019], the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, in consultation with any interagency council relating to evaluation, shall—
"(A) issue guidance for program evaluation for agencies consistent with widely accepted standards for evaluation; and
"(B) identify best practices for evaluation that would improve Federal program evaluation.
"(2) Guidance.—Not later than 90 days after the date on which the guidance under paragraph (1) is issued, the head of each agency shall oversee the implementation of such guidance.
"(3) OPM guidance.—Not later than 180 days after the date on which the guidance under paragraph (1) is issued, the Director of the Office of Personnel Management, in consultation with the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, shall—
"(A) identify key skills and competencies needed for program evaluation in an agency;
"(B) establish a new occupational series, or update and improve an existing occupational series, for program evaluation within an agency; and
"(C) establish a new career path for program evaluation within an agency.
"(4) Definitions.—In this Act [see Short Title of 2019 Amendment note set out under section 101 of this title]:
"(A) Agency.—Except as otherwise provided, the term 'agency' has the meaning given the term 'Executive agency' under section 105 [probably means section 105 of title 5, United States Code].
"(B) Evaluation.—The term 'evaluation' has the meaning given that term in section 311 of title 5, United States Code, as added by subsection (a)."