For the purpose of having within the Department of Agriculture a focal point for coordinating all issues of climate change, the Secretary of Agriculture (hereafter in this chapter referred to as the "Secretary") shall establish a Global Climate Change Program (hereafter in this section referred to as the "Program"). The Secretary shall designate a director of the Program who shall be responsible to the Secretary for carrying out the duties specified in subsections (b) and (c).
The Director shall—
(1) coordinate policy analysis, long range planning, research, and response strategies relating to climate change issues;
(2) provide liaison with other Federal agencies, through the Office of Science and Technology Policy, regarding issues of climate change;
(3) inform the Department of scientific developments and policy issues relating to the effects of climate change on agriculture and forestry, including broader issues that affect the impact of climate change on the farms and forests of the United States;
(4) recommend to the Secretary alternative courses of action with which to respond to such scientific developments and policy issues; and
(5) ensure that recognition of the potential for climate change is fully integrated into the research, planning, and decision-making processes of the Department.
The Director shall—
(1) coordinate the global climate change studies required by section 6702 of this title;
(2) provide, through such other agencies as the Secretary determines appropriate, competitive grants for research in climatology relating to the potential impact of climate change on agriculture;
(3) coordinate the participation of the Department in interagency climate-related activities;
(4) consult with the National Academy of Sciences and private, academic, State, and local groups with respect to climate research and related activities;
(5) represent the Department to the Office of Science and Technology Policy and coordinate the activities of the Department in response to requirements of this chapter;
(6) represent the Department on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change; and
(7) review all Department budget items relating to climate change issues, including specifically the research budget to be submitted by the Secretary to the Office of Science and Technology Policy and the Office of Management and Budget.
(Pub. L. 101–624, title XXIV, §2402, Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 4058.)
This chapter, referred to in subsecs. (a) and (c)(5), was in the original "this title", meaning title XXIV of Pub. L. 101–624, Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 4058, known as the Global Climate Change Prevention Act of 1990, which is classified principally to this chapter. For complete classification of title XXIV to the Code, see Short Title note below and Tables.
Pub. L. 101–624, title XXIV, §2401, Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 4058, provided that: "This title [enacting this chapter and amending sections 1601 and 1602 of Title 16, Conservation] may be cited as the 'Global Climate Change Prevention Act of 1990'."