A person required to make a report to the Secretary or the Board, as applicable, answer a question, or make, prepare, or preserve a record under this part about transportation subject to jurisdiction under subchapter I or III of chapter 135, or an officer, agent, or employee of that person, that—
(1) does not make that report;
(2) does not specifically, completely, and truthfully answer that question in 30 days from the date the Secretary or Board, as applicable, requires the question to be answered;
(3) does not make, prepare, or preserve that record in the form and manner prescribed;
(4) falsifies, destroys, mutilates, or changes that report or record;
(5) files a false report or record;
(6) makes a false or incomplete entry in that record about a business related fact or transaction; or
(7) makes, prepares, or preserves a record in violation of an applicable regulation or order of the Secretary or Board;
is liable to the United States for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000.
(Added Pub. L. 104–88, title I, §103, Dec. 29, 1995, 109 Stat. 916.)
Provisions similar to those in this section were contained in section 11909 of this title prior to the general amendment of this subtitle by Pub. L. 104–88, §102(a).
Section effective Jan. 1, 1996, except as otherwise provided in Pub. L. 104–88, see section 2 of Pub. L. 104–88, set out as a note under section 1301 of this title.