United States Code, 2018 Edition
Title 46 - SHIPPING
Subtitle IV - Regulation of Ocean Shipping
Part B - Actions To Address Foreign Practices
CHAPTER 423 - FOREIGN SHIPPING PRACTICES
Sec. 42301 - Definitions
From the U.S. Government Publishing Office, www.gpo.gov
(a) Defined in Part A.—In this chapter, the terms "common carrier", "marine terminal operator", "ocean common carrier", "ocean transportation intermediary", "shipper", and "shippers' association" have the meaning given those terms in section 40102 of this title.
(b) Other Definitions.—In this chapter:
(1) Foreign carrier.—The term "foreign carrier" means an ocean common carrier a majority of whose vessels are documented under the laws of a foreign country.
(2) Maritime services.—The term "maritime services" means port-to-port transportation of cargo by vessels operated by an ocean common carrier.
(3) Maritime-related services.—The term "maritime-related services" means intermodal operations, terminal operations, cargo solicitation, agency services, ocean transportation intermediary services and operations, and all other activities and services integral to total transportation systems of ocean common carriers and their foreign domiciled affiliates for themselves and others.
(4) United states carrier.—The term "United States carrier" means an ocean common carrier operating vessels documented under the laws of the United States.
(5) United states oceanborne trade.—The term "United States oceanborne trade" means the carriage of cargo between the United States and a foreign country, whether directly or indirectly, by an ocean common carrier.
(Pub. L. 109–304, §7, Oct. 6, 2006, 120 Stat. 1551.)
Historical and Revision Notes
|Source (U.S. Code)||Source (Statutes at Large)|
||Pub. L. 100–418, title X, §10002(a), Aug. 23, 1988, 102 Stat. 1570; Pub. L. 105–258, title I, §111(1)–(3), Oct. 14, 1998, 112 Stat. 1911.