As used in this part—
(1) The term "manufacturer" as used in sections 7521, 7522, 7525, 7541, and 7542 of this title means any person engaged in the manufacturing or assembling of new motor vehicles, new motor vehicle engines, new nonroad vehicles or new nonroad engines, or importing such vehicles or engines for resale, or who acts for and is under the control of any such person in connection with the distribution of new motor vehicles, new motor vehicle engines, new nonroad vehicles or new nonroad engines, but shall not include any dealer with respect to new motor vehicles, new motor vehicle engines, new nonroad vehicles or new nonroad engines received by him in commerce.
(2) The term "motor vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle designed for transporting persons or property on a street or highway.
(3) Except with respect to vehicles or engines imported or offered for importation, the term "new motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle the equitable or legal title to which has never been transferred to an ultimate purchaser; and the term "new motor vehicle engine" means an engine in a new motor vehicle or a motor vehicle engine the equitable or legal title to which has never been transferred to the ultimate purchaser; and with respect to imported vehicles or engines, such terms mean a motor vehicle and engine, respectively, manufactured after the effective date of a regulation issued under section 7521 of this title which is applicable to such vehicle or engine (or which would be applicable to such vehicle or engine had it been manufactured for importation into the United States).
(4) The term "dealer" means any person who is engaged in the sale or the distribution of new motor vehicles or new motor vehicle engines to the ultimate purchaser.
(5) The term "ultimate purchaser" means, with respect to any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine, the first person who in good faith purchases such new motor vehicle or new engine for purposes other than resale.
(6) The term "commerce" means (A) commerce between any place in any State and any place outside thereof; and (B) commerce wholly within the District of Columbia.
(July 14, 1955, ch. 360, title II, §216, formerly §208, as added Pub. L. 89–272, title I, §101(8), Oct. 20, 1965, 79 Stat. 994; renumbered §212, and amended Pub. L. 90–148, §2, Nov. 21, 1967, 81 Stat. 503; renumbered §213, and amended Pub. L. 91–604, §§8(a), 10(d), 11(a)(2)(A), Dec. 31, 1970, 84 Stat. 1694, 1703, 1705; renumbered §214, Pub. L. 93–319, §10, June 22, 1974, 88 Stat. 261; renumbered §216, Pub. L. 95–95, title II, §224(d), Aug. 7, 1977, 91 Stat. 767; Pub. L. 101–549, title II, §223, Nov. 15, 1990, 104 Stat. 2503.)
Section was formerly classified to section 1857f–7 of this title.
1990—Par. (1). Pub. L. 101–549, §223(b), inserted references to new nonroad vehicles or new nonroad engines.
Pars. (7) to (11). Pub. L. 101–549, §223(a), added pars. (7) to (11).
1970—Pub. L. 91–604, §11(a)(2)(A), substituted "part" for "subchapter".
Par. (1). Pub. L. 91–604, §10(d)(1), inserted reference to section 7521 of this title.
Par. (3). Pub. L. 91–604, §10(d)(2), inserted provisions which defined such terms with respect to imported vehicles or engines.
1967—Pub. L. 90–148 inserted "as used in sections 7522, 7525, 7541, and 7542 of this title" after "manufacturer" in par. (1).
1 So in original. Probably should be set off by quotation marks.