The purposes of this Act are—
(1) to help families not owning a home to save for a down payment for the purchase of a home;
(2) to retain wherever feasible as housing affordable to low-income families those dwelling units produced for such purpose with Federal assistance;
(3) to extend and strengthen partnerships among all levels of government and the private sector, including for-profit and nonprofit organizations, in the production and operation of housing affordable to low-income and moderate-income families;
(4) to expand and improve Federal rental assistance for very low-income families; and
(5) to increase the supply of supportive housing, which combines structural features and services needed to enable persons with special needs to live with dignity and independence.
(Pub. L. 101–625, title I, §103, Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 4085.)
This Act, referred to in text, is Pub. L. 101–625, Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 4079, known as the Cranston-Gonzalez National Affordable Housing Act. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 12701 of this title and Tables.