The Secretary may use funds made available to carry out this subpart for each fiscal year to—
(1) conduct research related to effective approaches for the education of Indian children and adults;
(2) evaluate federally assisted education programs from which Indian children and adults may benefit;
(3) collect and analyze data on the educational status and needs of Indians; and
(4) carry out other activities that are consistent with the purpose of this part.
The Secretary may carry out any of the activities described in subsection (a) directly or through grants to, or contracts or cooperative agreements with, Indian tribes, Indian organizations, State educational agencies, local educational agencies, institutions of higher education, including Indian institutions of higher education, and other public and private agencies and institutions.
Research activities supported under this section—
(1) shall be carried out in consultation with the Institute of Education Sciences to ensure that such activities are coordinated with and enhance the research and development activities supported by the Institute; and
(2) may include collaborative research activities that are jointly funded and carried out by the Office of Indian Education Programs, the Bureau of Indian Education, and the Institute of Education Sciences.
(Pub. L. 89–10, title VI, §6131, formerly title VII, §7131, as added Pub. L. 107–110, title VII, §701, Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 1923; amended Pub. L. 107–279, title IV, §404(d)(5)(E), (8), Nov. 5, 2002, 116 Stat. 1986; renumbered title VI, §6131, and amended Pub. L. 114–95, title VI, §§6001(a), (b)(1), 6002(m), Dec. 10, 2015, 129 Stat. 2046, 2057.)
A prior section 7451, Pub. L. 89–10, title VII, §7131, as added Pub. L. 103–382, title I, §101, Oct. 20, 1994, 108 Stat. 3729, authorized research, evaluation of activities, and dissemination of information, prior to the general amendment of former subchapter VII of this chapter by Pub. L. 107–110.
A prior section 6131 of Pub. L. 89–10 was classified to section 7311 of this title, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 114–95.
2015—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 114–95, §6002(m)(1), substituted "to carry out this subpart" for "under section 7492(b) of this title" in introductory provisions.
Subsec. (c)(2). Pub. L. 114–95, §6002(m)(2), inserted ", the Bureau of Indian Education," after "Office of Indian Education Programs".
2002—Subsec. (c)(1). Pub. L. 107–279 substituted "Institute of Education Sciences" for "Office of Educational Research and Improvement" and "by the Institute" for "by the Office".
Subsec. (c)(2). Pub. L. 107–279, §404(d)(5)(E), substituted "Institute of Education Sciences" for "Office of Educational Research and Improvement".
Amendment by Pub. L. 114–95 effective Dec. 10, 2015, except with respect to certain noncompetitive programs and competitive programs, see section 5 of Pub. L. 114–95, set out as a note under section 6301 of this title.