The Congress finds the following:
(1) Asian elephant populations in nations within the range of Asian elephants have continued to decline to the point that the long-term survival of the species in the wild is in serious jeopardy.
(2) The Asian elephant is listed as an endangered species under section 1533 of this title and under appendix I of the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.
(3) Because the challenges facing the conservation of Asian elephants are so great, resources to date have not been sufficient to cope with the continued loss of habitat and the consequent diminution of Asian elephant populations.
(4) The Asian elephant is a flagship species for the conservation of tropical forest habitats in which it is found and provides the consequent benefit from such conservation to numerous other species of wildlife including many other endangered species.
(5) Among the threats to the Asian elephant in addition to habitat loss are population fragmentation, human-elephant conflict, poaching for ivory, meat, hide, bones and teeth, and capture for domestication.
(6) To reduce, remove, or otherwise effectively address these threats to the long-term viability of populations of Asian elephants in the wild will require the joint commitment and effort of nations within the range of Asian elephants, the United States and other countries, and the private sector.
(Pub. L. 105–96, §2, Nov. 19, 1997, 111 Stat. 2150.)
Pub. L. 110–133, §1, Dec. 6, 2007, 121 Stat. 1362, provided that: "This Act [amending sections 4264 and 4266 of this title] may be cited as the 'Asian Elephant Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2007'."
Pub. L. 107–141, §1, Feb. 12, 2002, 116 Stat. 13, provided that: "This Act [enacting section 4265a of this title, amending sections 3709, 4214, 4245, 4246, 4263, 4265, and 4266 of this title, and enacting provisions set out as a note under section 4214 of this title] may be cited as the 'Asian Elephant Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2002'."
Pub. L. 105–96, §1, Nov. 19, 1997, 111 Stat. 2150, provided that: "This Act [enacting this chapter] may be cited as the 'Asian Elephant Conservation Act of 1997'."