(a) The Office of the Chief of Naval Operations shall furnish professional assistance to the Secretary, the Under Secretary, and the Assistant Secretaries of the Navy and to the Chief of Naval Operations.
(b) Under the authority, direction, and control of the Secretary of the Navy, the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations shall—
(1) subject to subsections (c) and (d) of section 8014 of this title, prepare for such employment of the Navy, and for such recruiting, organizing, supplying, equipping (including those aspects of research and development assigned by the Secretary of the Navy), training, servicing, mobilizing, demobilizing, administering, and maintaining of the Navy, as will assist in the execution of any power, duty, or function of the Secretary or the Chief of Naval Operations;
(2) investigate and report upon the efficiency of the Navy and its preparation to support military operations by combatant commands;
(3) prepare detailed instructions for the execution of approved plans and supervise the execution of those plans and instructions;
(4) as directed by the Secretary or the Chief of Naval Operations, coordinate the action of organizations of the Navy; and
(5) perform such other duties, not otherwise assigned by law, as may be prescribed by the Secretary.
(Added Pub. L. 99–433, title V, §512(b), Oct. 1, 1986, 100 Stat. 1049, §5032; renumbered §8032 and amended Pub. L. 115–232, div. A, title VIII, §§807(a)(1), 809(a), Aug. 13, 2018, 132 Stat. 1834, 1840.)
A prior section 8032 was renumbered section 9032 of this title.
2018—Pub. L. 115–232, §807(a)(1), renumbered section 5032 of this title as this section.
Subsec. (b)(1). Pub. L. 115–232, §809(a), substituted "subsections (c) and (d) of section 8014" for "subsections (c) and (d) of section 5014".
Amendment by Pub. L. 115–232 effective Feb. 1, 2019, with provision for the coordination of amendments and special rule for certain redesignations, see section 800 of Pub. L. 115–232, set out as a note preceding section 3001 of this title.