(1) procure any covered material melted or produced in any covered nation, or any end item that contains a covered material manufactured in any covered nation, except as provided by subsection (c); or
(2) sell any covered material from the National Defense Stockpile, if the National Defense Stockpile Manager determines that such a sale is not in the national interests of the United States, to—
(A) any covered nation; or
(B) any third party that the Secretary reasonably believes is acting as a broker or agent for a covered nation or an entity in a covered nation.
(1) If the Secretary of Defense determines that covered materials of satisfactory quality and quantity, in the required form, cannot be procured as and when needed at a reasonable price.
(2) To the procurement of an end item described in subsection (a)(1) or the sale of any covered material described under subsection (a)(1) by the Secretary outside of the United States for use outside of the United States.
(3) To the purchase by the Secretary of an end item containing a covered material that is—
(A) a commercially available off-the-shelf item (as defined in section 104 of title 41), other than—
(i) a commercially available off-the-shelf item that is 50 percent or more tungsten by weight; or
(ii) a mill product, such as bar, billet, slab, wire, cube, sphere, block, blank, plate, or sheet, that has not been incorporated into an end item, subsystem, assembly, or component;
(B) an electronic device, unless the Secretary of Defense, upon the recommendation of the Strategic Materials Protection Board pursuant to section 187 of this title, determines that the domestic availability of a particular electronic device is critical to national security; or
(C) a neodymium-iron-boron magnet manufactured from recycled material if the milling of the recycled material and sintering of the final magnet takes place in the United States.
(A) samarium-cobalt magnets;
(B) neodymium-iron-boron magnets;
(C) tungsten metal powder; and
(D) tungsten heavy alloy or any finished or semi-finished component containing tungsten heavy alloy.
(A) the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea;
(B) the People's Republic of China;
(C) the Russian Federation; and
(D) the Islamic Republic of Iran.
(Added Pub. L. 115–232, div. A, title VIII, §871(a), Aug. 13, 2018, 132 Stat. 1904.)