In carrying out this chapter, the Administrator is authorized to—
(1) prescribe, in consultation with Federal, State, and regional authorities, such regulations as are necessary to carry out his functions under this chapter;
(2) consult with or exchange information with other Federal agencies undertaking research, development, demonstration projects, studies, or investigations relating to solid waste;
(3) provide technical and financial assistance to States or regional agencies in the development and implementation of solid waste plans and hazardous waste management programs;
(4) consult with representatives of science, industry, agriculture, labor, environmental protection and consumer organizations, and other groups, as he deems advisable;
(5) utilize the information, facilities, personnel and other resources of Federal agencies, including the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the National Bureau of the Census, on a reimbursable basis, to perform research and analyses and conduct studies and investigations related to resource recovery and conservation and to otherwise carry out the Administrator's functions under this chapter; and
(6) to delegate to the Secretary of Transportation the performance of any inspection or enforcement function under this chapter relating to the transportation of hazardous waste where such delegation would avoid unnecessary duplication of activity and would carry out the objectives of this chapter and of chapter 51 of title 49.
Each regulation promulgated under this chapter shall be reviewed and, where necessary, revised not less frequently than every three years.
In carrying out the provisions of this chapter, the Administrator, and duly-designated agents and employees of the Environmental Protection Agency, are authorized to initiate and conduct investigations under the criminal provisions of this chapter, and to refer the results of these investigations to the Attorney General for prosecution in appropriate cases.
(Pub. L. 89–272, title II, §2002, as added Pub. L. 94–580, §2, Oct. 21, 1976, 90 Stat. 2804; amended Pub. L. 96–482, §5, Oct. 21, 1980, 94 Stat. 2335; Pub. L. 98–616, title IV, §403(d)(4), Nov. 8, 1984, 98 Stat. 3272; Pub. L. 100–418, title V, §5115(c), Aug. 23, 1988, 102 Stat. 1433.)
In subsec. (a)(6), "chapter 51 of title 49" substituted for "the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act [49 App. U.S.C. 1801 et seq.]" on authority of Pub. L. 103–272, §6(b), July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1378, the first section of which enacted subtitles II, III, and V to X of Title 49, Transportation.
1988—Subsec. (a)(5). Pub. L. 100–418 substituted "National Institute of Standards and Technology" for "National Bureau of Standards".
1984—Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 98–616 added subsec. (c).
1980—Subsec. (a)(6). Pub. L. 96–482 added par. (6).
For transfer of certain enforcement functions of Administrator or other official of Environmental Protection Agency under this chapter to Federal Inspector, Office of Federal Inspector for the Alaska Natural Gas Transportation System, and subsequent transfer to Secretary of Energy, then to Federal Coordinator for Alaska Natural Gas Transportation Projects, see note set out under section 6903 of this title.