Subject to the availability of appropriations, the Secretary shall make grants and provide technical assistance to tribes for the development and operation of tribal departments or divisions of education for the purpose of planning and coordinating all educational programs of the tribe.
For a tribe to be eligible to receive a grant under this section, the governing body of the tribe shall submit an application to the Secretary at such time, in such manner, and containing such information as the Secretary may require.
The Secretary shall award grants under this section in a manner that fosters geographic and population diversity.
Tribes that receive grants under this section shall use the funds made available through the grants—
(1) to facilitate tribal control in all matters relating to the education of Indian children on reservations (and on former Indian reservations in Oklahoma);
(2) to provide for the development of coordinated educational programs (including all preschool, elementary, secondary, and higher or vocational educational programs funded by tribal, Federal, or other sources) on reservations (and on former Indian reservations in Oklahoma) by encouraging tribal administrative support of all Bureau-funded educational programs as well as encouraging tribal cooperation and coordination with entities carrying out all educational programs receiving financial support from other Federal agencies, State agencies, or private entities; and
(3) to provide for the development and enforcement of tribal educational codes, including tribal educational policies and tribal standards applicable to curriculum, personnel, students, facilities, and support programs.
In making grants under this section, the Secretary shall give priority to any application that—
(A) assurances that the applicant serves three or more separate Bureau-funded schools; and
(B) assurances from the applicant that the tribal department of education to be funded under this section will provide coordinating services and technical assistance to all of such schools;
(2) includes assurances that all education programs for which funds are provided by such a contract or grant will be monitored and audited, by or through the tribal department of education, to ensure that the programs meet the requirements of law; and
(3) provides a plan and schedule that—
(A) provides for—
(i) the assumption, by the tribal department of education, of all assets and functions of the Bureau agency office associated with the tribe, to the extent the assets and functions relate to education; and
(ii) the termination by the Bureau of such functions and office at the time of such assumption; and
(B) provides that the assumption shall occur over the term of the grant made under this section, except that, when mutually agreeable to the tribal governing body and the Assistant Secretary, the period in which such assumption is to occur may be modified, reduced, or extended after the initial year of the grant.
Subject to the availability of appropriated funds, a grant provided under this section shall be provided for a period of 3 years. If the performance of the grant recipient is satisfactory to the Secretary, the grant may be renewed for additional 3-year terms.
A tribe that receives a grant under this section shall comply with regulations relating to grants made under section 5322(a) of this title that are in effect on the date that the tribal governing body submits the application for the grant under subsection (b). The Secretary shall not impose any terms, conditions, or requirements on the provision of grants under this section that are not specified in this section.
There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section $2,000,000.
(Pub. L. 95–561, title XI, §1140, as added Pub. L. 107–110, title X, §1042, Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 2059.)
A prior section 2020, Pub. L. 95–561, title XI, §1140, as added Pub. L. 103–382, title III, §381, Oct. 20, 1994, 108 Stat. 4011, related to voluntary services, prior to the general amendment of this chapter by Pub. L. 107–110. See section 2012 of this title.
Another prior section 2020, Pub. L. 95–561, title XI, §1140, as added Pub. L. 98–511, title V, §511, Oct. 19, 1984, 98 Stat. 2397; amended Pub. L. 99–89, §8, Aug. 15, 1985, 99 Stat. 383, related to voluntary services, prior to the general amendment of this chapter by Pub. L. 103–382.
Section effective Jan. 8, 2002, except with respect to certain noncompetitive programs and competitive programs, see section 5 of Pub. L. 107–110, set out as a note under section 6301 of Title 20, Education.