The Secretary may enter into cooperative agreements with Alaska Native organizations to conserve marine mammals and provide co-management of subsistence use by Alaska Natives.
Agreements entered into under this section may include grants to Alaska Native organizations for, among other purposes—
(1) collecting and analyzing data on marine mammal populations;
(2) monitoring the harvest of marine mammals for subsistence use;
(3) participating in marine mammal research conducted by the Federal Government, States, academic institutions, and private organizations; and
(4) developing marine mammal co-management structures with Federal and State agencies.
Nothing in this section is intended or shall be construed—
(1) as authorizing any expansion or change in the respective jurisdiction of Federal, State, or tribal governments over fish and wildlife resources; or
(2) as altering in any respect the existing political or legal status of Alaska Natives, or the governmental or jurisdictional status of Alaska Native communities or Alaska Native entities.
There are authorized to be appropriated for the purposes of carrying out this section—
(1) $1,500,000 to the Secretary of Commerce for each of the fiscal years 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 1999; and
(2) $1,000,000 to the Secretary of the Interior for each of the fiscal years 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 1999.
The amounts authorized to be appropriated under this subsection are in addition to the amounts authorized to be appropriated under section 1384 of this title.
(Pub. L. 92–522, title I, §119, as added Pub. L. 103–238, §19, Apr. 30, 1994, 108 Stat. 559.)