In this part, the term “national security system” means any telecommunications or information system operated by the United States Government, the function, operation, or use of which—
(1) involves intelligence activities;
(2) involves cryptologic activities related to national security;
(3) involves command and control of military forces;
(4) involves equipment that is an integral part of a weapon or weapons system; or
(5) subject to subsection (b) of this section, is critical to the direct fulfillment of military or intelligence missions.
Subsection (a)(5) of this section does not include a system that is to be used for routine administrative and business applications (including payroll, finance, logistics, and personnel management applications).
(Pub. L. 104–106, div. E, title LI, §5142, Feb. 10, 1996, 110 Stat. 689.)
This section is referred to in title 10 section 2223; title 29 section 794d; title 44 sections 3502, 3532.