The Secretary is authorized to make grants to institutions of higher education, area vocational education schools, local educational agencies, secondary schools funded by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, State boards, public or private nonprofit organizations, or any consortia thereof, to develop, implement and operate programs using different models of curricula which integrate vocational and academic learning by—
(1) designing integrated curricula and courses;
(2) providing inservice training for teachers and administrators in integrated curricula; and
(3) disseminating information regarding effective integrative strategies to other school districts through the National Diffusion Network established under part B of title XIII of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 [20 U.S.C. 8651 et seq.].
In awarding grants under this section, the Secretary shall ensure—
(1) an equitable geographic distribution of funds awarded pursuant to this section;
(2) that programs supported under this section offer significantly different approaches to integrating curricula;
(3) that the programs supported under this section serve individuals who are members of special populations;
(4) that programs supported under this section serve—
(A) vocational students in secondary schools and at postsecondary institutions;
(B) individuals enrolled in adult programs; and
(C) single parents, displaced homemakers, and single pregnant women; and
(5) that adequate evaluation measures will be employed to measure the effectiveness of the curriculum approaches supported under this section.
(Pub. L. 88–210, title IV, §420, as added Pub. L. 101–392, title IV, §406(a), Sept. 25, 1990, 104 Stat. 820; amended Pub. L. 103–382, title III, §391(s)(6), Oct. 20, 1994, 108 Stat. 4025.)
The Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, referred to in subsec. (a)(3), is Pub. L. 89–10, Apr. 11, 1965, 79 Stat. 27, as amended generally by Pub. L. 103–382, title I, §101, Oct. 20, 1994, 108 Stat. 3519. Part B of title XIII of the Act is classified generally to part B (§8651 et seq.) of subchapter XIII of chapter 70 of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 6301 of this title and Tables.
1994—Subsec. (a)(3). Pub. L. 103–382 substituted “part B of title XIII of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965” for “section 2962 of this title”.