[Federal Register Volume 74, Number 185 (Friday, September 25, 2009)]
[Proposed Rules]
[Pages 48892-48893]
From the Federal Register Online via the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov]
[FR Doc No: E9-23225]



36 CFR Part 1254

[FDMS Docket NARA-09-0004]
RIN 3095-AB59

Researcher Identification Card

AGENCY: National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

ACTION: Proposed rule.


SUMMARY: The proposed rule will require researchers using original 
records, NARA microfilm, and public use computers at the National 
Archives Building in Washington, DC, to obtain a researcher 
identification card. Researchers at regional archives are also required 
to obtain a researcher identification card when there is no separate 
research room for the use of microfilm and public access computers. The 
proposed rule also updates our regulations to reflect changes in 
available technology and research room practices, such as abolishing 
the three-hour time limit for using microfilm readers. This proposed 
rule will affect the public.

DATES: Comments are due by November 24, 2009.

ADDRESSES: NARA invites interested persons to submit comments on this 
proposed rule. Comments may be submitted by any of the following 
     Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. 
Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
     Fax: Submit comments by facsimile transmission to 301-837-
     Mail: Send comments to Regulations Comments Desk (NPOL), 
Room 4100, Policy and Planning Staff, National Archives and Records 
Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001.
     Hand Delivery or Courier: Deliver comments to 8601 Adelphi 
Road, College Park, MD.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Marilyn Redman at 301-837-1850; or, 
fax number 301-837-0319.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The proposed rule modifies our regulations 
relating to the public use of Federal records and donated historical 
materials. In particular, we are modifying the regulation addressing 
the issuance of researcher identification cards to enhance security in 
the National Archives Building in Washington, DC, and some other NARA 
facilities. For many years, we have not required researchers who use 

[[Page 48893]]

microfilm publications (i.e., copies on microfilm of original records) 
to register for a researcher identification card in our facilities 
where microfilm research is conducted separately from research rooms 
servicing original records. We have registered researchers who use 
original records in order to better understand our researchers' needs 
and provide us with a way to contact them in case we need to follow up 
on their visit.
    Over the last few years, we have determined that requiring our 
microfilm researchers in the National Archives Building to register for 
a researcher identification card will strengthen our security to 
protect buildings, people, and the records we hold. The electronic 
system that NARA uses to generate researcher identification cards in 
the Washington, DC, area, enables us to track the various research 
rooms that each person visits. Tracking researcher visits helps ensure 
more accurate counting of researchers to measure our performance in 
customer service delivery and to effectively allocate resources.

What changes are we making in this proposed rule?

    We are proposing substantive changes by amending the following 
     Sec.  1254.6(b): We are adding the requirement for 
researchers using the National Archives Building, even those only using 
microfilm publications or public use computers, to apply for and obtain 
a researcher identification card. This rule applies to regional 
archives facilities, as well, except where the microfilm research area 
is separate from the area where original records are used. We made 
other changes in the text to reflect that none of the affected 
facilities has more than one textual research room.
     Sec.  1254.22(a): The term ``bar-coded'' is deleted and 
replaced with the broader term ``encoded.'' We no longer use bar-codes 
on researcher identification cards in the Washington, DC, area. The 
plastic cards we issue now have a magnetic strip and future cards may 
use other technology.
     Sec.  1254.44(a): Because fewer researchers are using 
microfilm and there are no waits, the 3-hour limit on use and waiting 
lists are no longer needed for the use of microfilm readers. We are 
removing references to the 3-hour limit.
     Sec.  1254.84: Since this section was last revised, the 
researcher identification card can be linked to a personal account 
established through the National Archives Trust Fund Cashier's Office 
and function as a debit card in Washington, DC, area research rooms. 
The regulation is being clarified to describe that capability. In 
addition, we are removing discussion of deposit accounts, which are no 
longer maintained by the Trust Fund.
    We also are making non-substantive editorial changes in Sec. Sec.  
1254.6(c) and 1254.10(b).

Paperwork Reduction Act

    The information collection in this regulation was previously 
approved by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) under OMB control 
number 3095-0016, which expires on September 30, 2011.
    This proposed rule is not a significant regulatory action for the 
purposes of Executive Order 12866 and has been reviewed by the Office 
of Management and Budget. As required by the Regulatory Flexibility 
Act, I certify that this rule will not have a significant impact on a 
substantial number of small entities because the regulation affects 
individual researchers. This regulation does not have any federalism 

List of Subjects in 36 CFR Part 1254

    Archives and records.
    For the reasons set forth in the preamble, NARA proposes to amend 
part 1254, in title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations, as follows:


    1. The authority citation for part 1254 continues to read as 

    Authority: 44 U.S.C. 2101-2118.

    2. Amend Sec.  1254.6 by revising paragraphs (b) and (c) to read as 

Sec.  1254.6  Do I need a researcher identification card to use 
archival materials at a NARA facility?

* * * * *
    (b) You also need a researcher identification card if you wish to 
use only microfilm copies of documents at NARA's Washington, DC, area 
facilities and in any NARA facility where the microfilm research room 
is not separate from the textual research room.
    (c) If you are using only microfilm copies of records in some 
regional archives where the microfilm research room is separate from 
the textual room, you do not need an identification card but you must 
register as described in Sec.  1254.22.
    3. Amend Sec.  1254.10 by revising paragraph (b) to read as 

Sec.  1254.10  For how long and where is my researcher identification 
card valid?

* * * * *
    (b) At NARA facilities in the Washington, DC, area and other NARA 
facilities that issue and use plastic researcher identification cards 
as part of their security systems, we issue a plastic card to replace 
the paper card issued at some NARA facilities at no charge. The plastic 
card is valid at all NARA facilities.
    4. Amend Sec.  1254.22 by revising paragraph (a) to read as 

Sec.  1254.22  Do I need to register when I visit a NARA facility for 

    (a) Yes, you must register each day you enter a NARA research 
facility by furnishing the information on the registration sheet or 
scanning an encoded researcher identification card. We may ask you for 
additional personal identification.
* * * * *
    5. Amend Sec.  1254.44 by revising paragraph (a) to read as 

Sec.  1254.44  How long may I use a microfilm reader?

    (a) Use of the microfilm readers in the National Archives Building 
is on a first-come-first served basis.
* * * * *
    8. Revise Sec.  1254.84 to read as follows:

1254.84  How may I use a debit card for copiers in the Washington, DC, 

    Your research identification card can be used as a debit card if 
you arrange with the Cashier's Office to set up an account using cash, 
check, money order, debit card, or credit card. Your researcher 
identification card number as encoded on the card forms the basis of 
your account in the debit system. You may also purchase generic debit 
cards of values up to $20 each from the Cashier's Office using any of 
the above payment methods. When the Cashier's Office is closed or at 
any other time during the hours research rooms are open as cited in 
part 1253 of this chapter, you may use cash or credit card to purchase 
a debit card from the vending machines located in the research rooms. 
Inserting the debit card into a card reader connected to the copier 
enables you to make copies for the appropriate fee, which are found in 
Sec.  1258.12 of this chapter. You can add value to your card using the 
vending machine in the research room or at the Cashier's Office. We do 
not make refunds.

    Dated: September 21, 2009.
Adrienne C. Thomas,
Acting Archivist of the United States.
[FR Doc. E9-23225 Filed 9-24-09; 8:45 am]