[Congressional Record Volume 163, Number 173 (Thursday, October 26, 2017)]
[Senate]
[Pages S6839-S6841]
From the Congressional Record Online through the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov]
GUN VIOLENCE
Mr. CARDIN. Madam President, I rise to address the latest mass
shooting in our country. This one took place last week in my own State
of Maryland, in the city of Edgewood, in Harford County, which is
northeast of Baltimore.
In this case, the suspect gathered coworkers at his place of
business, Advanced Granite Solutions, and began shooting. He killed
three coworkers
[[Page S6840]]
and critically wounded two others who remain in critical condition at
the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. The suspect then fled to Delaware.
According to an article in the Baltimore Sun, he shot an acquaintance
in the head at a car dealership. The victim was in stable condition and
later identified his attacker to police. The suspect was finally
arrested after a brief foot chase, and police said the suspect threw a
gun at them after spotting law enforcement approaching.
This terrible shooting in Maryland came a few weeks after the worst
mass shooting in modern U.S. history, which occurred in Las Vegas, NV,
on October 1. This mass shooting from a hotel room targeting
concertgoers at an outdoor music festival left 58 dead and more than
500 people wounded, with dozens of victims still in the hospital today,
some of whom are in critical condition. These are just staggering
numbers. But I want to put a human face on this for my colleagues and
talk about one Marylander who was injured in the Las Vegas attack.
The Baltimore Sun shared the story of Tina Frost. Tina is a native of
Crofton in Anne Arundel County, MD. She is a 2008 graduate of Arundel
High School in Gambrills. She was a star soccer player in school, and
she now lives in California and works at the accounting firm of Ernst
and Young.
The story begins:
Before a bullet from 32 stories above cut through her face,
Crofton native Tina Frost drove from San Diego with her
boyfriend to see one of her favorite country artists in Las
Vegas. . . . Becky Frost said her 27-year-old sister had lost
her right eye and was in a Las Vegas intensive care unit
after a two-hour surgery. [She] said her bubbly and
charismatic older sister was in a coma that the family
expected to last about a week. Another sister wrote on
Facebook that the family was waiting to see the extent of the
brain damage. ``We're sticking together and praying,'' Becky
Frost said.
Tina Frost did wake up from the coma and was recently transferred to
Maryland for additional surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
According to family members, she underwent a second successful surgery
last week. The family's website update said: ``We are thankful Tina is
still being a true fighter and warrior!''
Today, I want Tina and the entire Frost family to know that they are
in our thoughts and prayers. I understand that their community has
already been raising funds to help defray Tina's medical expenses for
her recovery.
This is just one example of hundreds who were victimized in Las
Vegas. I am just heartbroken by the terror in Las Vegas. With the
entire country, I am grieving for the senseless loss of life and
praying for the victims, their families, and all those who were injured
like Tina Frost, whether by gunshots or the chaos that ensued.
Much thanks also goes to the first responders, including our police,
fire, ambulance, and emergency medical workers, who saved countless
lives by helping those around them and running toward danger instead of
running away from it.
Thoughts and prayers console victims and their families, but actions
speak much louder. We must be outraged at this latest shooting, and we
must act. Congress must act. States must act. Weapons of war should not
be in the hands of civilians. We see the deadly results in Las Vegas
just as we have seen before in Orlando, Blacksburg, San Bernardino,
Aurora, Sandy Hook, the streets of Baltimore, and elsewhere across this
great country. We need to do everything in our power to stop the
carnage of these shootings. How high does the death toll have to get
before we enact real, bipartisan reforms that will make the American
public safer and reduce the risks that come from allowing such easy
access to dangerous weapons primarily designed for the battlefield?
Assault weapons are not needed to hunt deer or ducks; they are only
meant to kill people, and they do far too often in this country.
I urge my colleagues to be bold and fight to break the cycle of what
could only be described as a callous disregard for the victims of gun
violence. More talk will not save lives; only action and real change
and Federal and State laws can.
This attack and others like it in recent years tear at the heart and
leave us angry, frustrated, and confused. We as a nation must resolve
to stop those who wish to do harm to Americans from committing,
encouraging, and abetting acts of terror. We as a nation, as a
community, and as an American family must take action to change minds,
hearts, and finally change policies. We can stop others and save lives
by taking immediate action.
I was disappointed that Congress missed yet another opportunity to
enact commonsense, reasonable gun safety measures after the June 2016
shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, FL, which killed 49 people
and injured 53 others. The mass shooting in Las Vegas has now sadly
surpassed those numbers.
In the Las Vegas massacre, Stephen Paddock used a bump fire stock
device, which allowed a semiautomatic rifle to fire at a rate similar
to that of a fully automatic weapon--a rate of about nine bullets a
second. Fully automatic weapons are generally illegal under current
law. Paddock also stockpiled a virtual arsenal in his hotel room, as
police found 23 firearms in the room. Police also found a large
quantity of ammunition, including numerous high-capacity magazines
capable of holding up to 100 rounds apiece.
The preliminary assessment--with the understanding that the
investigation is still ongoing--from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives is that the shooter legally purchased all these
guns, bump stocks, and ammunition. It is outrageous that a mass shooter
was legally able to purchase a device designed to convert his gun into
a military-style weapon with no legitimate civilian use. It is
outrageous that a mass shooter was legally able to purchase high-
capacity magazine clips with no legitimate civilian use. These are
weapons of war. You don't need them for hunting, and you don't need
them for self-defense.
Earlier this month, I convened a roundtable meeting with law
enforcement officials at the First Baptist Church of Highland Park in
Prince George's County, MD. The group included officials from the
local, State, and Federal levels, including the sheriff, police chief
of Prince George's County, State delegates, the State attorney general
of Maryland, and representatives of the U.S. attorney's office.
Maryland has progressive laws on gun safety and has taken steps to
ban weapons of war and high-capacity magazines that have no legitimate
civil purpose. The group echoed the concern to me that if Maryland has
strict laws relating to gun safety that protect both the public and
police officers, what is to stop someone from driving over the border
to one of our neighboring States in order to procure guns? That is why
we need a strong national law to protect all Americans, and Congress
should act on commonsense gun safety measures.
What can we do in Congress? I have cosponsored the Automatic Gunfire
Prevention Act, which Senator Feinstein introduced. In the Las Vegas
shooting, the gunman was able to unleash hundreds of rounds of gunfire
on the crowd, likely by using the bump stock device.
Fully automatic guns or machine guns are already banned for civilian
use under the National Firearms Act, but a loophole exists that allows
for these bump stock devices, as well as similar accessories, to
convert semiautomatic weapons to emulate automatic weapons. Senator
Feinstein's legislation would close the loophole in current law that
allows conversion devices and accessories to be available to the
public. The bill bans the sale, transfer, importation, manufacturing,
or possession of bump stocks, trigger cranks, or anything that
accelerates a semiautomatic rifle's rate of fire. Semiautomatic rifles
typically have a rate of fire of 45 to 60 rounds per minute; a bump
stock could increase the semiautomatic rifle rate of fire to 700 rounds
per minute or 9 per second.
I have also cosponsored the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device
Act, also known as the Keeping Americans Safe Act, introduced by
Senator Menendez. It prohibits the possession or transfer of large-
capacity ammunition magazines--more than 10 rounds per magazine--with
limited exceptions for law enforcement personnel. Senator Menendez's
bill authorizes a buyback program for high-capacity magazines using
Byrne JAG grants.
To me, these two bills represent a practical, commonsense approach to
[[Page S6841]]
promoting gun safety and reducing the threat of gun violence without
impinging on the rights of legitimate owners.
As NBC News recently reported, more Americans have died from gunshots
in the last 50 years than in all the wars in America's history. Since
1968, more than 1.5 million Americans have died in gun-related
incidents, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention.
I have also cosponsored the Background Check Expansion Act,
introduced by Senator Murphy. This bill would expand Federal background
checks to cover the sale and transfer of all firearms by private
sellers, just as licensed dealers are required to do so under the
existing Brady law, with certain limited exceptions.
Under current law, unlicensed or private sellers are not required to
conduct a background check prior to transferring a firearm. This is
outrageous, and Congress should act right now to close this dangerous
loophole. It should not matter whether you buy a gun at a local gun
store or a gun show or the internet--you should have to pass a basic
background check to make sure the guns are kept out of the hands of
people who should never have one.
Congress has an obligation to act. As I have indicated before, we
need to act. Inaction is not an option. Many of our States have acted
as well, including my own State of Maryland, but we need a national law
that applies to all 50 States to ban bump stocks, prohibit the sale or
transfer of high-capacity magazine clips, eliminate the private
ownership of assault-type weapons, and require universal background
checks for all purchasers.
The time for action is now. We cannot wait. Congress should come
together and address the real problem, which is lax gun safety laws,
and should pass commonsense gun safety measures to protect all
Americans. Let's not wait for the next mass shooting, when we send our
thoughts and prayers to victims and then stand by and pretend we are
helpless and powerless to prevent another tragedy. Let's take action
now.
Mr. President, I yield the floor.
The PRESIDING OFFICER (Mr. Perdue). The Senator from North Dakota.
____________________