[Congressional Record Volume 157, Number 187 (Wednesday, December 7, 2011)]
[Senate]
[Pages S8390-S8392]
From the Congressional Record Online through the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov]
ATF'S LANNY BREUER
Mr. GRASSLEY. The Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms is a division of the
Justice Department. I have been investigating Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms' Operation Fast and Furious for almost 11 months now. It is
past time for accountability at the senior levels of the Justice
Department. That accountability needs to start with the head of the
criminal division, Lanny Breuer. I believe it is time for him to go,
and I wish to explain why I have come to that conclusion.
The Justice Department denied, in a letter to me on February 4, 2011,
that ATF had ever walked guns. Mr. Breuer had been consulted in the
drafting of that erroneous letter of February 4, this year.
On May 2, 2011, rather than acknowledging the increasingly obvious
facts and apologizing for its February letter, the Justice Department
reiterated its denial on May 2, this year, the same denial of February
4th.
Thus, when the Justice Department revealed on October 31 of this year
that
[[Page S8391]]
Breuer had known as far back as April 2010 about gunwalking at ATF, I
was astounded. That was a shocking revelation.
The controversy about gunwalking in Fast and Furious has been
escalating steadily for 10 months now. The Justice Department had
publicly denied to Congress that ATF would ever walk guns. Yet, the
head of the criminal division, Mr. Breuer, knew otherwise and said
nothing. He knew the same field division was responsible for walking
guns in a 2006-2007 case, and that case was called Wide Receiver.
But the real shock was how Mr. Breuer had responded within his own
department when that earlier gunwalking was first brought to his
attention in April 2010. He didn't tell the Attorney General. He didn't
tell the Attorney General's Chief of Staff. He didn't tell the Deputy
Attorney General. He didn't tell the inspector general. Instead, he
simply told his deputies to meet with ATF leadership and inform them of
the gunwalking:
. . . so they know the bad stuff that could come out.
Later, his deputy outlined a strategy to:
. . . announce the case without highlighting the negative
part of the story and risking embarrassing ATF.
Think about that. In that case, saving face was more important than
the bad policy.
For 18 months, the embarrassing truth about ATF gunwalking in Wide
Receiver and Breuer's knowledge of it was successfully hidden. It only
came out because of the congressional investigation into gunwalking in
Fast and Furious.
The public outrage over Fast and Furious comes from the average
American who cannot understand why their very own government would
intentionally allow criminals to illegally buy weapons for trafficking
into Mexico.
Next week, it will be 1 year since Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry
was murdered by bandits armed with guns as a direct result of this
policy of letting guns walk. The Terry family, and all Americans who
sympathize with their loss, are rightfully outraged and astonished at
their very own government doing such a thing. Yet, when Mr. Breuer
learned of a case where ATF walked guns in a very similar way, all he
did was give ATF a heads up. There seems to be a vast gulf between what
outrages the American people and what outrages Lanny Breuer.
Mr. Breuer showed a complete lack of judgment by failing to object to
the gunwalking that he knew about in April 2010, 9 months before I was
ever aware of Fast and Furious. If Mr. Breuer had reacted to gunwalking
in Wide Receiver the way most Americans reacted to gunwalking in Fast
and Furious, he would have taken steps to stop it and hold accountable
everyone involved. Consequently, Fast and Furious might have been
stopped in its tracks and Brian Terry might be alive.
When Mr. Breuer came before the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on
Crime and Terrorism the day after those revelations, I gave him a
chance to explain himself. I listened to what he had to say. He told us
that he:
. . . thought that . . . dealing with the leadership of ATF
was sufficient and reasonable.
Clearly, it was not sufficient. Mr. Breuer even admitted as much,
saying:
I regret that I did not alert others within the leadership
of the Department of Justice to the tactics used in Operation
Wide Receiver when they first came to my attention.
He regrets not bringing gunwalking in Wide Receiver to the attention
of the Attorney General. But what about bringing it to the attention of
Congress? He didn't even step forward to express his regret until e-
mails that detailed his knowledge were about to be produced under
congressional subpoena.
It is astounding then that it took the public controversy over Fast
and Furious to help the chief of the criminal division realize that
walking guns is unacceptable. Yet he had had 9 months after the
February 4 letter to step forward, correct the record, and come clean
with the American public. He had 18 months, after learning of
gunwalking in Wide Receiver, to put a stop to it and hold people
accountable. He failed to do so.
During his testimony, I asked him pointblank if he reviewed that
letter of February 4 before it was sent to me. His misleading answers
to these questions formed the basis for my second reason for calling on
Mr. Breuer to resign. He responded that he could not say for sure but
suggested that he did not review the letter. He said, ``[A]t that time,
I was in Mexico dealing with the very real issues that we are all so
committed to.''
Last Friday, the Justice Department withdrew their February 4 letter
to me because of its inaccuracies--and the word ``inaccuracy'' is their
word. The Department also turned over documents under subpoena about
who participated in the drafting and the reviewing of the letter. One
can imagine my surprise when I discovered from documents provided
Friday night that Mr. Breuer was far more informed during the drafting
of that letter than he admitted before the Judiciary Committee. In
fact, Mr. Breuer got frequent updates on the status of the letter while
he was in Mexico.
He was sent versions of the letter four times. Two versions were e-
mailed to Mr. Breuer on February 4, after he returned from Mexico,
including the version of the letter that was ultimately sent to me that
day. At that time, he forwarded the letter to his personal e-mail
account. Mr. Breuer's Deputy also sent him two drafts of the letter
while he was in Mexico, and he also forwarded one of those to his
personal e-mail account. We do not know whether he did that in order to
access it on a larger screen than the Government-issued BlackBerry or
whether he engaged in any further discussion about the letter in his
nongovernment e-mail account. However, we do know, in response to the
draft received in Mexico, he wrote to one of the main drafters of the
letter: ``As usual, great work.''
The Justice Department excluded Breuer's compliment about the context
of the draft from the set of e-mails it released to the press on
Friday, before they released those documents to this Senator.
That evening, Mr. Breuer submitted answers to written questions. He
wrote:
I have no recollection of having [seen the letter] and,
given that I was on official travel that week and given the
scope of my duties as Assistant Attorney General, I think it
is exceedingly unlikely that I did so.
So as late as last Friday night, Mr. Breuer was still trying to
minimize his role in reviewing the letter, despite all the evidence to
the contrary. Why would Mr. Breuer say ``great work'' to a staffer
about a letter he claimed he had not read?
It is not credible that someone such as Mr. Breuer would forget about
his involvement in a matter such as this. Mr. Breuer's failure to be
candid and forthcoming before this body irreparably harms his
credibility. His complete lack of judgment and failure to deal with
gunwalking when he first learned of it in April 2010 was bad enough,
but this is the final straw. Mr. Breuer has lost my confidence in his
ability to effectively serve the Justice Department. If he cannot be
straight with the Congress, he doesn't need to be running the Criminal
Division. It is time to stop spinning and start taking responsibility.
I have long said the highest ranking individual who knew about
gunwalking and Operation Fast and Furious needs to be held accountable.
That standard applies no less to officials who knew about gunwalking in
Operation Wide Receiver. Gunwalking is unacceptable no matter when it
occurred. Documents made clear that Assistant Attorney General Breuer
was the highest ranking official in the Justice Department who knew
about gunwalking in Operation Wide Receiver. He did nothing to correct
the problem, alert others to the issue, take responsibility or even
admit what he knew until he was forced to do so by the evidence.
Therefore, I believe the Attorney General needs to ask for Mr. Breuer's
resignation or remove him from office if he refuses. If Mr. Breuer
wants to do the honorable thing, he would resign.
I am not somebody who flippantly calls for resignations. I have done
oversight for many years, and in all that time I don't ever remember
coming across a government official who so blatantly placed sparing the
agency embarrassment over protecting the lives of citizens. He has
failed to do his job of ensuring that the government operates properly,
including holding people accountable.
[[Page S8392]]
Because of that, Mr. Breuer needs to go immediately. Anything less
will show the American people the Justice Department is not serious
about being honest with Congress in our attempt to get to the bottom of
this.
In regard to my attempt to get to the bottom, just last night the
Justice Department sent a letter refusing to provide several Justice
Department staff for transcribed interviews. The letter explicitly goes
back on the assurances I received when I consented to proceed with the
confirmation of three senior Justice Department officials, which I had
held up to get an agreement to get the information Congress is entitled
to.
One of my conditions for agreeing to proceed with those nominations
was that officials who agreed to voluntary interviews in this
investigation would have either a personal lawyer present or a
Department lawyer present but not both. I personally met with the
Attorney General, and he had the conditions listed on a piece of paper
in front of him. It looked as if he had read it and was familiar with
it. Yet he never objected to that condition.
Dozens of witness interviews have been conducted under that
understanding with no problem. The only difference is that instead of
ATF witnesses, we are now seeking to interview Justice Department
witnesses. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. There is
no reason to change the rules in the middle of the game. I was relying
on the Attorney General and other officials at the Department to honor
their agreement. Apparently, that is not going to happen.
Fortunately, Chairman Issa has the ability to require the witnesses
to appear via subpoena if they refuse to appear voluntarily under
conditions that the Department previously agreed to with me. I am
confident he will do that if it becomes necessary, and I will take
whatever steps I have to take in the Senate to encourage the Department
to reconsider and stick to its original agreement.
I yield the floor.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. The Senator from Delaware is recognized.
____________________